About Gulf & Ohio Railways, Inc.
- Founded in 1985 with headquarters in Knoxville, TN
- Currently operates four shortline railroads in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee, a locomotive repair shop and a tourist train ride
- Total number of employees: 54 full & part time
- Total miles of track owned: 203 miles
- Total number of locomotives: 29 (including a steam engine)
- Total number of industrial customers: 64
What is a shortline railroad?
- A shortline railroad is the connection between a Class I railroad (Norfolk Southern, CSX, etc.) and local industry. A Class I will deliver rail cars to the shortline to switch and deliver to the customer.
- With offices and managers in the community, shortlines demonstrate outstanding customer service on a local level.
- There are approximately 500 shortline & regional railroads in the United States.